Survive that Wave! Is a fun game similar to the outdoor game tag. Team captains must lead their team to safety. This game is best played outdoors on a sunny day!
Earthquake Engineering Component
Learning Objectives and Standards
Links to the National Science Standards and to individual State Science Standards are available by using this link:
The objective of this game is to show students the importance of evacuation procedures during a tsunami. In addition to understanding the importance of evacuation they also learn the importance of organizing efficiently in the event of a disaster.
- One student to serve as the Tsunami
- One student to serve as the lead scientist
- One student to serve as the local government
- Three students to serve as the media:
- One student to serve as the television
- One student to serve as the radio
- One student to serve as the internet
- Remaining students divided evenly into three evacuee groups
- First show students tsunami videos as seen in the links and resources section. Here scientist discuss the importance of simulation tsunamis, and evacuation procedures
- Assign students roles as mentioned in the materials section.
- Each of the three evacuee groups must either be assigned to the internet group, television group or radio group
- The Tsunami must whisper the lead scientist that there is a tsunami coming and he has to alert the local government.
- The lead scientist alerts the local government and is instructed to alert the media
- Once the media is alerted, they must alert their evacuee group!
The first team to assemble all students by birthday in order is declared the winning team from January 1 on one end and December 31 at the other end. The catch is that they must do all this without talking or writing anything down, only using hand motions.
Links and Resources
Cite this work
Researchers should cite this work as follows: