The NEES ITS shake table began with the a request from the NEES equipment sites for a low cost shake table they could use for education and outreach activities at local area schools. In past the sites have used an expensive, high grade shake table to accomplish their instructional needs. However, a trained operator is needed when using the device. NEES sponsored an undergraduate team involved in Purdue's Engineering Projects In Community Service (EPICS) to develop an alternative. A team of engineering and education experts with NEES are transforming a collection of curriculum that can use the ITS as part of teaching engineering, science, mathematics and technology. Many of these existing curriculum are already posted as a resource on nees.org. Now the team is modifying the curriculum to explicitly reference the use of this table and its potential for managing learning and instruction.
Links and Resources
Getting Started Quick start guide to setting up and operating the shake table in manual (Harmonic motion) mode /resources/7626/download/Shake_Table_Quick_Start.pdf
- Manual Harmonic Mode
- Historical Earthquake Mode
- MYOE mode
- Impact mode (controlled acceleration)
Windows Version updated March 28, 2014
Installing updates software for the control box -
- Download the Arduino IDE for Windows located on the Arduino download page
- Install the Arduino development system using the directions provided by the developers
- Download the control box software for the Arduino ShaketableDriver_cb3_v1003 (updated March 17, 2014).
- Place the unzipped folder into the Arduino folder on the My Documents folder.
- Open the Arduino IDE.
- Open the code ShaketableDriver_cb3_v1003.ino using the File/Open menu item. The file may be found in sub-folder of the Arduino folder.
- Make sure the control box is connected to the computer using the USB cable.
- Use the Tools/Boards menu to select the appropriate Arduino UNO board.
- Use the File/Upload menu item to upload the Control Box. A message in the lower text box of the Arduino IDE will indicated when the upload is complete and if there were errors during the upload process.
- Reset the control box by disconnecting the USB cable from the PC and the AC/DC power supply.
Researchers should cite this work as follows: