The Real-time Data Viewer (RDV) provides an interface for viewing and analyzing live or archived time-synchronized data either locally or streamed across a network from a Data Turbine (RBNB) server. RDV is capable of displaying textual and numerical data, still images, and video. The playback rate can be adjusted so data is presented slower or faster than real time to aid in analysis. The RDV Wiki provides more information about the features and functionality of RDV.
You may run RDV by clicking the Launch Tool button above, however the version hosted on NEEShub has no 3D visualization support at this time (please download RDV to use this functionality). The latest version may be downloaded here. Other documentation and downloads are available by clicking on the Supporting Doocs tab above. See also the Resources and Requirements sections below.
- Monitor experimental data in real-time or playback from history at increased rates
- 2D time series or XY data plots
- Support for high- or low-resolution still-image and video data
- Multiple pages of data panels
- 3D visualization capability
- Support for visualization of large data sets (>1M samples)
Features in Development
- Comparison of data from multiple data sources
- Support for accessing stored experimental data from sources other than Data Turbine, such as NEEShub or RDBMS systems
- Better performance
- Better support for annotations such as audio recordings
Note: Running RDV on the NEEShub does not support data panels requiring java3d at this time. To use the Model Panel and Krypton Viewing Panel, download the software below.
- Click "Launch Tool".
- Select "Connect" from the "File" menu.
- Enter the name and port number of the Data Turbine server and click "Connect". For example, Host: neestpm.sdsc.edu Port: 3333
- Create data panels using the Window menu options
- Drag channels from the channel list to the panels and adjust the current time by dragging the green ball on the timeline
- Adjust the time span desired by selecting an appropriate value from the dropdown menu
- Access real-time, playback, and pause modes using the buttons in the upper left
Further information may be found on the RDV Wiki. To obtain information or support for RDV, please contact us at: rdv-users at googlegroups dot com
The following documentation has been compiled for older versions of RDV and may be out of date:
Note: The current download does not support distribution via java web start at this time. This feature will be added soon.
Instructions for running RDV may be found in the README.txt file.
Latest - rdv.2.2.6.zip
RDV requires Java 6, which may downloaded here. To use the 3D visualization features, you will also need java3d. It is recommended to install java3d using the appropriate installer for your platform. To use the monitoring features of RDV, you will also need to download and install the latest version of Data Turbine. You may also need to install the Data Turbine Utility distribution to link your sensing equipment to the Data Turbine server.
- Added the "multi-channel threshold adjustment" feature.
- Copied all icons into a new "res" folder because Eclipse was having a hard time finding the icons correctly when they were in the root directory.
- RDVIcon.java, this class provides a static class for referencing imageicons, instead of having to reference them by filename all the time.
- AdjustThresholdDialog.java, this dialog box is part of a new feature that allows the user to adjust the threshold values of many selected channels at once.
- Adding ability to edit calculated channels.
- Removing Webstart because of security issues.
Version 2.2.3 - September, 2011
New export features for 3D panels, fixes for graphs with multiple sources.
- JPEG range export option for Krypton and Model viewer panels.
- Edit feature in Model viewer panel allows existing nodes and members to be modified.
- Properly handles graphs with data from multiple sources
- High Resolution panel properly supports aging images
- Improved reliability of data delivery in real-time mode
Version 2.2.2 - May, 2011
Addition of new docking window layout manager, fonts for digital tabular display,
and various bug fixes.
- Docking window layout manager allows expanded control over panel window size and position.
- Toggle window layout manager under Window menu switches between basic and docking.
- Command-line option --window-layout to control default window layout manager. Accepts arguments: basic, docking (basic is default).
- Digital tabular display font and precision settings, accessible from right-click menu.
- Window layout manager-specific options in Window menu.
- Unsubscribe series data panel menu option.
- Rearrange rows in digital tabular display columns with up/down buttons.
- Setup file format changes (may still load old format).
- Rows stay highlighted in digital tabular display when in real-time mode.
- Tabular display Take Offsets button resizes rather than overlays Decimal/Engineering buttons when space is limited.
- Tabular display spaces save and restore properly.
- Time series panel properly displays X-axis (time) when data endpoints are less than query parameters.
Version 2.2.1 - March, 2011
Point release containing bug fixes and additional functionality to allow editing the list of available time ranges and changing the display update rate.
- Display update rate option to control the rate at which display redraws happen. Includes an Options dialog to set this parameter at run-time and a command-linw option: -u/--update-rate
- Command-line option --scale-list allows providing a comma-delimited list of time scales to replace the default. The first scale is set to the default, or a default may be specified using an asterisk (*). Time scales are in seconds or may be specified with a unit suffix as follows:
- ns nanoseconds
- us microseconds
- ms milliseconds
- s seconds
- m minutes
- h hours
- d days
- w weeks
- rdv.jar is now signed for deployment via Web Start
- Renamed --time-scale (-s) option to --scale
- Allow specification of units for scale option
- Documentation updated to point to current URLs
- Help menu URLs updated
- Fixed ModelPanel.java to display all data points
- Fix for ArrayIndexOutOfBounds exception in RBNBTimeSeries getNearestTime()
Version 2.2.0 - December, 2010
This release contains significant new features for viewing 3D data and images, including new Krypton Viewer and High Resolution Image data panels. Support was also added for browsing and importing data files directly from NEEShub. A number of other improvements have also been added in addition to a few bug fixes. More information can be found at: https://www.nees.org/resources/rdv/.
- Tabbed main panel to support multiple docking areas for data panels
- Filmstrip mode for video/photo data panel stacks images to use more of the data panel area
- High Resolution Image Data Panel added to support sparsely acquired image data from still cameras
- Krypton Viewer Data Panel added to support visualization of 3D data from Krypton optical measurement systems
- Save/restore setup from RBNB server
- Disable local channel mode to lower memory consumption when graphing large quantities of data
- Browsing and direct import of data files from NEEShub
- Enhanced monitoring and playback performance to accommodate high data rates
- Charts can now override the global time range
- XY charts may now contain multiple plots using the same channel
- Increased support for large datasets
- Drop data feature now only applies to Image viewer and Tabular data panels visualizations
- Added dedicated pause button
- XY chart corruption when playback rate is high
- Chart jitter when data sources are not time-synchronized
- Dial gauge panel no longer draws as an ellipse
University of Minnesota, University of Buffalo
University of Minnesota, University of Buffalo